MHM - THE COURSE

  

The Murray Half Marathon is a one loop course with short, out-and-back segments in Central Park and at the relay exchange point on Opportunity Drive. The course was carefully laid out so that runners get to experience the best of Murray. Runners will visit beautiful historic downtown with a short stroll through Central Park.  Runners are then guided along Murray State’s scenic campus before heading into a few of Murray’s friendliest neighborhoods and then back to the Murray-Calloway County’s Center for Health and Wellness. This route does have a few hills, but they are a nice break from the predominantly flat Kentucky terrain.  

NEW for 2017!  Our race route is now CERTIFIED!  Click here for details.


Murray Half Marathon race course



Want to cheer on the runners?  Click here to download the Run-Time Map.


Mile 0.5 - Downtown Murray

Murray's 100-year-old Courthouse built in 1913. The original Court House burnt to the ground in 1903 and wasn’t rebuilt until 10 years later because of a debate over the new design. The cost of the court house was $49,679. Which today would be equivalent to $1,173,613. The courthouse clock was inoperable for 20 years and was recently repaired September of 2013.

Monument honoring Confederate soldiers Built in 1915 is the only Confederate statue of facing north east. Robert E. Lee statue is the only Confederate statue in the US not facing south. It is believed that Robert E. Lee is facing his home state of VA. Statue weighs 27,000 lbs and is made of Italian marble. Between the Visitors Bureau and the Baptist Church is a section old iron fence that once surrounded the old Courthouse that burned in 1903.

The First Christian Church is the second public building in Murray and the only building that carries its original name. This church was established in 1844 and is located just off of Main and 5th street. This church was rebuilt in 1904.


Mile 2 - Central Park

Waters School House was named after Joseph Spillman Waters. Joseph Waters (1822-1898) School operated from mid-1800 to 1936.

The Old Wadesboro Courthouse was the first public building in Jackson Purchase area, built in 1823 for $100. This Courthouse remained in use until 1851. The courthouse was moved to the park in 1970’s and remains there to do as a local landmark.

Murray Train Depot was once a passenger depot built in 1907 is now home to Playhouse in the Park, the longest continuous community theater in the Commonwealth of KY, and was established in 1977.

Old Red Tobacco Barn built in 1953 is showcased in the East Quilt Trail. The barn features a painted quilt known as “The Tree of Life”. This barn is the last remaining building from the Ryan Farm. This barn was once owned by J.N. Buddy Ryan. The Ryan’s were famous in 1900 for breading the best coon dogs in the country. Renowned outlaws Frank and Jessie James have been said to have spent the night on the Ryan property in 1800’s.

Mile 2 - Corner of 6th and Main

Diuguid Queen Ann Style House 1899
. This home is now home to a Law office. This house is believed to be haunted by Edwin Diuguid Jr. - a seven-year child, who died in the early 1900’s.

Mile 3 - 641 (12th Street)

MSU Roy Stewart Stadium the most prominent structure in the sports complex is Roy Stewart Stadium. The stadium, which is home field to the Murray State Racers football program, was completed in 1973 and named for former Murray State football coach Roy Stewart.

Mile 4 – Waldrop Drive

Murray State University home of more than 10,800 students and recognized by U.S.News & World Report as a regional university top tier for the past 20 consecutive years. Alexander Hall a new state-of-the-art science complex for biology and chemistry opened in 2004 and is located on the campus of Murray State University.

Mile 6 – The Anna Mae Owen Residential Hospice House

The Anna Mae Owen Residential Hospice House opened in November of 2016 and is a $3.5 million, six-bed free standing facility. In 1979 Dr. Ruth Cole (pictured on the back of the 2017 MHM finishers medal) started the MCCH Hospice Program which Nadine Turner; director of Nursing was hired to establish the program. Dr. Charles Clark served as the first Medical Director and now, 37 years later the state of art facility exists as a testimony to their work. All proceeds from the Murray Half Marathon event benefit the Anna Mae Owen Residential Hospice House a 501 (c) 3 organization.

Mile 12 – Murray-Calloway County Hospital South Tower
In 2010, the MCCH South Tower was opened.  It is a 158,000 square foot modern facility built to provide healthcare services for our region for years to come.  Patietns and visitors are greeted through a new main entrance into a lobby area with a two-story atrium and centralized registration.  The main floor consists of Radiology, a new ER (with 13 triage rooms, an increase from the 8 at the former facility), and Cardiopulmonary.  The second floor is home to the Pathology Department and Perioperative Area (with an expanded 8 operating suites).  The third floor offers a Critical Care Unit and Progressive Care Unit.  The fourth and fifth floors contain private rooms for patient care, and mark the transition to all-private rooms at MCCH.