HISTORY OF MCCH
MURRAY CALLOWAY COUNTY HOSPITAL
Murray-Calloway County Hospital is a non-profit, voluntary, community general hospital. It is an outgrowth of the 65-bed William Mason Memorial Hospital that was established in 1910 and served the community until 1947. At that time, the Murray Hospital Association, Inc., purchased the Mason Hospital and changed the name to Murray Hospital. The present hospital facility, renamed Murray-Calloway County Hospital, opened April 1964.
A 1973 addition added 34 acute care beds and a new laboratory. In 1980, a multimillion-dollar construction program added acute care beds and included extensive renovation and expansion of ancillary facilities. In 1986, another major expansion project moved the main entrance from the south side of the hospital to the north side facing Poplar Street.
In 1998, a fully accredited, on-site childcare center was completed for children and grandchildren of MCCH and West View employees. A freestanding Regional Cancer Center with full-time radiation and medical oncologists was completed in 1999 on the hospital campus.
The J. Stuart Poston Center for Health and Wellness opened in the fall of 2000. It contains a wellness area, gymnasium/multi-purpose room, outpatient rehabilitation center, women’s diagnostic center, kids zone, six-lane Olympic size swimming pool, locker rooms, massage therapy and a sports medicine area.
In 2001, the Center for Diabetes was opened. The new Center for Diabetes now provides a wealth of support for inpatient and outpatient diabetes care. In 2002, Shared Care, an adult care program, was opened in Marshall County. At the facility elderly citizens have a variety of activities including crafts, exercises, games and pet therapy. Also, The Center for Sleep Studies was opened in 2002 answering the needs of our patients.
In 2006, Spring Creek Health Care opened. The new skilled nursing and rehab center along with the current facility houses 226 beds, a new dining area, and the latest in rehab facilities. The facility is state-of-the art and was built in response to our growing Long Term Care Division.
In 2010, the South Tower was opened. It is a 158,000 square foot modern facility built to provide healthcare services for our region for years to come. Patients and visitors are greeted through a new main entrance into a lobby area with a two-story atrium and centralized registration. The main floor consists of Radiology, a new ER (with 13 triage rooms, an increase from the 8 at the former facility), and Cardiopulmonary. The second floor is home to the Pathology Department and Perioperative Area (with an expanded 8 operating suites). The third floor offers a Critical Care Unit and Progressive Care Unit. The fourth and fifth floors contain private rooms for patient care, and mark the transition to all-private rooms at MCCH.
The hospital is governed by an eleven-member Board of Trustees who has full legal responsibility for operations. Three members of the Board serve by virtue of their offices: the Mayor of Murray, the County Judge-Executive and the Chief of the hospitals medical staff. The other members are selected through a nominating process with four members appointed by the Murray City Council and four appointed by the Fiscal Court. The commissioners serve four-year terms.
The Board employs a president/CEO who is delegated the authority and responsibility necessary to operate the hospital in accordance with the policies established by the Board.
The medical staff of the Murray-Calloway County Hospital is appointed by the Board of Trustees to practice medicine within the hospital. The medical staff has organized itself forming by-laws, rules and regulations, and has established officers and committees that are responsible for the quality of medical practice in the facility.
The hospital exists to provide quality health services in a caring and cost-effective manner. It accepts patients without regard to race, creed, sex, religion, national origin, or sources of payment for care.