The Cardiopulmonary Department at the Murray-Calloway County Hospital offers a number of services including diagnostic tests and respiratory therapy.
INPATIENT AND OUTPATIENT SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Oxygen therapy
- Arterial blood gas testing
- Pulmonary function testing
- 24 and 48-hour Holter monitoring
- 2d Echocardiography (Cardiac Ultrasound) Diagnostic Images of the heart and surrounding Great Vessels for physicians to diagnose and manage Cardiac Disease.
- TransEsophageal Echocardiography – An inpatient or outpatient procedure normally performed under minimal sedation techniques (conscious sedation). TransEsophageal Echocardiography is basically a form of upper endoscopy, but instead of imaging the esophagus and stomach, a physician takes images of the heart.
- EKG Stress Test – The most basic stress test in which the patient walks on a treadmill to a pre-determined heart rate while being monitored by a physician for EKG changes suggestive of ischemic heart disease(blockage).
- Stress Echocardiogram – The patient walks on a treadmill while their EKG is monitored for changes. Cardiac ultrasound images are obtained before the treadmill and immediately after.
- Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram – A “chemical” stress test used for those patient populations who cannot walk very well or long enough on the treadmill. Dobutamine, a medicine that increases your heart rate and strength of contraction, is infused through an IV catheter. The patient’s EKG is monitored and cardiac ultrasound images are obtained, as the patient’s heart rate gets higher.
- Electroencephalograms (EEG) – The monitoring and recording of a patient’s brain activity.
- Chest percussion and postural drainage
- Aerosol therapy
- Tracheotomy care
- Medication Nebulizer Therapy – Delivers prescribed medications directly to the respiratory system via nebulizers for Asthmatics, Chronic Bronchitis sufferers, COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) patients, Patients with pneumonia, Pulmonary fibrosis patients, Trauma victims, Ventilator Management (aka Life Support) – Set-up and management of volume and pressure ventilators in the ER and ICU.
- Bipap Management – Set-up and management of CPAP and Bipap machines for non-invasive ventilation
RESPIRATORY THERAPY CAN HELP PATIENTS WITH:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Other cardiopulmonary disorders
Cardiology performs a number of tests. Most of these tests are performed during normal business hours. However, EKGs are performed 24 hours per day. We also perform emergency echo and stress tests by on-call Echo Techs. Holter and event monitors are used to evaluate your heart rhythm over a period of time. The department is located on the first floor of the South Tower located off of Vine Street. For more information, call (270) 752-2120.
Respiratory Therapy is more a therapeutic than a diagnostic service and therefore available around the clock. Pulmonary functions are performed five days per week on Monday thru Friday during daytime hours. For more information, call (270) 752-2120.
The Sleep Lab performs sleep studies seven nights per week but is closed on holidays. The patient would arrive and stay the night. For more information, call (270) 767-0286.
Neurology procedures are routinely performed during the daytime hours Monday through Friday. For more information, call (270) 752-2120.
TESTS COMPLETED IN CARDIAC LAB
- Electrocardiograms (EKGs)
- Signal Average EKGs
- Holter Monitors (24 hrs.)
- Event Monitors
- Holter Monitor Scans
- Tilt Table Exams
- Isopril Tilt Table Exam
- Pediatric Echos
- Stress Echos
- Dobutamine Echos
- Definity Contrast Echos
- Bubble Contrast Echos
- Treadmill Stress Tests
- Dob Cardiolite
- Exercise Cardiolite
- Vascular Ultrasound Studies
- Lower Ext. Arterial Pleth
- EEG (8 hr. EEG, 5 day EEG, Sleep Dep. EEG)